Sunday, April 8, 2012

Tony Bennett's Concert

Dear SX,
  
        I'm glad I went to Tony Bennett's concert today, even though it was a bargain, it was still not the cheapest ticket ever. Unfortunately I found out at the worst time ever, the cons of my contact lenses, which were no good for focusing far objects. I struggled to see clearly, and most of the time, I'm seeing a double vision of Tony Bennett on the stage. And I didn't bring my spectacles with me, which is such a pity.

        Anyway, apart from that, it was a great 2 hours evening concert. The show starts at approximately 8:10pm with Antonia Bennett, Tony Bennett's daughter, who happen to be the birthday girl today as well, singing a few jazz songs. Her voice is smooth and she has red hair.

Mr Tony Bennett. One of the better photos taken tonight with full zooming. I see him clearly on the camera LCD screen than with my own eyes.
        Then came Mr Tony Bennett in his white/yellowish suite, singing classic songs one by one, sometimes starting with a short story or a scene from his career involving people such as Frank Sinatra, Charlie Chaplin..., and then continues telling the story with the song he sings. His voice control is great, sometimes soft and tender that you hear single movement from the audience, sometimes so strong and loud that fills the whole hall, and yet the transition is smooth and silky. He paints you a picture, conveys his emotions, and sometimes a joke with a bit of jiggling dancing, all with his effortless versatile pitch perfect voice. At 85 years old, I would say Mr Tony Bennett's live singing voice is still flawless, just like hearing it from the records.

        The live music accompaniments from the piano, guitar, bass and drums were very good. They complement Mr Bennett's voice well, and each had their own near perfect solo performance too. The acoustic sound system of the venue was a definitely a plus factor. When softness is required from each instruments, softness comes out clearly, and it was not overly loud, nor was there any echo.

        Mr Bennett sang many songs, some I didn't know their name. Some that I could recall include " I left my heart in San Francisco", " For Once in My Life", "The way you look tonight", "Smile".. and many more. In the end, he ended the night singing "Fly me to the Moon" without any microphone, which was just as good, beautifully raw than ever, which leads to a standing ovation from nearly everyone. Too bad there was no encore, and it finished at around 10pm.

Standing ovation for the final song.
         Yes, it was an enjoyable night where perfect soulful singing and music all came together, spreading joy and warmth to the audience, and most importantly touching the hearts. Even though I could not see clearly tonight, I did hear clearly, the voice of a talented living music legend, Tony Bennett.

                                                                                                                          jy


p/s: I got the Duets CD. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment